The Health & Beauty America Expo (HBA) was held June 19–21 at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in New York, NY. New to the show this year was Design Hot Spots, which focused on going outside the norm of traditional design elements by using innovative materials. The Innovation Pavilions spotlighted “trending” product development areas, such as “ECO & Sustainability” and “Anti-Aging Skincare.”
To celebrate the 20th Anniversary of HBA Global Expo & Conference, a panel of beauty innovators kicked off the event, entitled “The Future of Beauty.” Jane Larkworthy, Beauty Director of W Magazine moderated Deanna Kangas, President & CEO, Stila Cosmetics; Sonia Kashuk, make-up artist/entrepreneur; Jim Markham, Founder & CEO, ColorProof Evolved Color Care; and Catherine Walsh, Senior VP, Coty Prestige in a lively discussion of beauty advancements and innovations.
When it comes to fine fragrance, Walsh commented that mature brands are trying hard to hold on to market share, and have seen a return to flankers as a way to achieve this. However, rather than a tweaked bottle or cap design, flankers are being launched as completely new fragrances. She also emphasized that celebrity fragrances were still an effective way of retaining consumer interest, using the recent successes of Justin Beiber, Taylor Swift and Madonna as examples, as well as the 10th anniversary re-launch of Jennifer Lopez’ Glow fragrance.
Sonia Kashuk commented on how there is no longer a huge separation between mass and prestige, as mass personal care products have “upped the game” and become upscale. She also observed that indie brands can initially suffer due to constrained funding and distribution; Markham agreed, concluding that indies need to “build a better mousetrap” in order to be noticed.
The winners of HBA International Package Design Awards (IPDA) were announced by Lady Emmy during a special ceremony. Winners included:
• Embleme Fragrance by Zermat Internacional (Fragrance Mass)
• Too Too by Betsey Johnson (Fragrance Prestige)
• bébé de forêt by Yuhan-Kimberly (Skin Care Mass)
• MAC Lightful Marine Bright by MAC (Skin Care Prestige)
• Just For Men AutoStop by Combe, Inc. (Personal Care Mass)
• Love. Lust. Light Body & Boudoir Candle by Naked Princess (Personal Care Prestige)
• MudPot by Black Rock Mud Company (Green Packaging)
• It Kit by vbeauté for Sampling (Travel Size)
• pH Matchmaker Powered Bronzer, Blush & Lip Gloss by Physicians Formula (Cosmetic Mass)
• Burberry Cosmetics Line by Inter Parfums (Cosmetic Prestige)
• Sephora Collection Brush Wand by Anisa International (Grand Award Winner)
For the first time, HBA Global attendees voted for their favorite new product from industry suppliers, displayed in the on-site New Product Showcase. Winners of the Exhibitor New Product Excellence Awards were:
• Uniform Color Company for its CT EcoBrite fluorescent color concentrates that are FDA compliant, chlorine-free, and non-haloginated.
• Omni Bio Solutions for its J Bio Advanced Recovery Serum.
• Anisa International Inc. for its Wildly Beautiful Collection.
• UFP Technologies for its Plantable Packaging, a 100% recyclable custom packaging solution with embedded flower seeds.
Another new HBA feature was the 2012 Best of SPLASH Awards. During the event, attendees visited the inaugural SPLASH Pavilion and voted for their favorite emerging brands. Winners were Zenagen professional hair care products; Me & the Girls luxury
skin care; and Scalisi Skincare.
In addition, a new Facebook campaign allowed the
entire HBA community to vote on their favorite new package. It generated 25,000 votes and close to one million impressions, naming Socializer’s Can You Keep a Secret? Lip Exfoliator & Conditioning Balm as the winner of the First Annual IPDA People’s Choice Award.
The next HBA Expo will be held June 18-20, 2013, once again at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in New York City.
Crime novelist, lawyer, former prosecutor and
philanthropist Linda Fairstein received the 4th Annual HBA Positively Beautiful Award for her active support of Safe Horizon, which provides support, prevents violence and promotes justice for victims of crime and abuse.
For 40 years, Fairstein served in the office of the NY County District Attorney, where she was Chief of the Sex Crimes Prosecution Unit and supervised the investigation and trial of sexual assault, domestic violence, child abuse and homicide cases. She is also an internationally bestselling author of a series of crime novels (translated into more than a dozen languages) featuring Manhattan prosecutor Alexandra Cooper. The fourteenth in the series Night Watch—debuted in July.
Pictured: Jill Birkett, Brand Director, HBA Global Beauty & Wellness Events (left) presents Fairstein with the Positively Beautiful Award.