Bayer, the maker of Coppertone, announced in April that it has commissioned an independent “assurance assessment,” available to the public and designed to provide consumers with greater confidence when choosing sunscreen.
“Consumers are receiving information about sun protection from a variety of often contradictory sources, which is causing confusion,” said Michael Tune, VP, Personal Care Development Center.
“They want assurance that product performance claims are based on legitimate scientific testing.”
Bayer gave the external assurance provider access to the facilities, records and people necessary to conduct its assessment, including:
- Processes, systems, controls, performance data, principles and internal guidelines
- Testing and performance guidelines developed and enforced in accordance with U.S. regulations
- Quality assurance processes and systems developed and enforced for packaging and labeling
- Bayer’s processes, controls and performance guidelines used to manage their suppliers
- 10 different products, including lotions, sprays, sticks and its new “Whipped” sunscreens
The independent assurance assessment concluded that the Bayer’s products comply with internal and all applicable external guidelines to ensure the labeling accuracy of Coppertone products, accurately test and implement quality assurance procedures, and are found to comply with quality, safety and efficacy requirements. To read the full report, visit: http://mma.prnewswire.com/media/493300/Bayer_Coppertone_Independent_Assurance_Report.pdf